Hi! My name is Melody Barrons and I am the girl behind the craziness which is the The Melody of Cooking. When I was 8 years old, give or take a year, I started cooking and messing around in the kitchen. I ruined a few things and probably scared my parents a little. Like the time that I burned sugar in the bottom of one of my Mom’s very expensive sauce pans and thought I ruined it, so I did what any kid would do…I threw it in the trash. Hmmm. Maybe that’s why I’ve gone Paleo and don’t eat sugar! Oh the drama!
I have come a long way since then.
When my kids all started school, I decided at 30 years old to go to Culinary School. I had been cooking for my family and doing some catering and cooking for friends and realized just how much I loved bringing people together over a meal you. So with some good home cooking under my belt, off to Culinary school I went. I graduated from the Art Institute of Dallas with an Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S) Degree as a Certified Culinarian (CC) under the stringent guidelines of the AFC (American Federation of Chefs). Being classical trained was such an awesome experience. But I feel that anyone can learn to cook. Sometimes you just need a little help or some new ideas. One thing that I have definitely learned over my career as a chef is that sharing what you know is the most fulfilling part of cooking.
I’ve always tried to eat healthy, whole, natural foods. Let’s face it, you can have a great recipe, but if you start off with poor ingredients the results won’t be spectacular.
Our diet is predominately Gluten Free and Grain Free, consisting of Clean Foods. Some may call it Paleo or Low-Carb. But it’s something we like to call Good Clean Eating! Seeing where our food comes from is an added bonus when it’s possible to do so. I call that the New Luxury. It wasn’t an issue knowing where your food came from 100 years ago. But now, you have to do your research! We also have a very Active Lifestyle…and you should too! That’s what makes all of the effort to eat clean so effective! The recipes and pictures from this blog are what we eat. We keep it as clean as possible and as tasty as possible. We have kids! We know how hard it is to feed the little people. The results for our family after eating this way include things like:
- Improved sleep
- Weight loss
- Burning stubborn fat
- Clearing up of allergies (sinus trouble, eczema, etc)
- Close your ears kids! Just when you thought it couldn’t get better, Better Sex, yes it’s true
- Reduced inflammation
- Better hormonal balance
- Improved digestion
- Blood sugar regulation
- Increased focus/reduction of ADD in kids
- More efficient workouts
- Better skin, hair and teeth health
Again, these are just a handful of the changes that become very noticeable when you begin to eat a Whole, Clean, Natural, Gluten Free and Grain Free diet that is accompanied with a plan that keeps your body active and moving.
Here are a few of my favorite things! Not everything is about food.
- Coffee with my Hero Husband in the morning and afternoon! (don’t argue about whether it’s Paleo or not with me, we got married 4 times in one day and the first wedding was at a Starbucks so we could have coffee)
- Taking a ride in our ’91 Convertible Mustang GT through the local farm roads and suddenly the air smells like watermelons. Yes that happened.
- Peaches right off my tree in the back yard in the summertime.
- Anything, and I mean anything, with a runny fried egg on top.
- Bacon…Shocking right. Like no one else loves bacon.
- First light of day. It’s my most Zen moment of the day. It’s when I remind myself that everything is new again and there’s always a second chance.
- Seeing my husband walk into the kitchen right after that Zen moment. Another reminder that life gives you a second chance…especially when it comes to love.
- My kids…they are all the best thing that I ever baked. And my step-kids…proof that you don’t have to be blood to have mad love for each other.
- Our one grandson that lights up a room. Nothing like spoiling something rotten. Grandparent life is the good life.
- Luke the Goldendoodle. The goofiest dog that has ever lived and makes us laugh everyday with his Scooby Doo spirit and attitude.
Thanks for stopping by! Send me an email or leave a comment! If you like this sort of thing, Subscribe and you’ll get the latest post right in your inbox! How’s that for up close and personal!
Big Texas Hugs!